Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Default Re: Fetterman praises DeSantis for banning-lab grown meat, "would never serve that sl

Quote Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green View Post
    Apparently you have no idea how overpopulated and expensive Boston is. There is no such thing as a house in this city that is under a million dollars. We have Harvard, MIT, Northeastern. BC, BU, Brandeis and other schools all in the Greater Boston area. People that leave Boston for NH or Florida do so because it's cheaper to live there not because they can't live without fireworks. Unfortunately they will have to leave Florida soon enough as hurricane and tropical storms continue to erase that state from the map. Their idiot governor needs to do something about the skyrocketing insurance rates instead of focusing on crap no one with any sense cares about. Lot of good the war on Disney has done.
    As a Floridian, I can tell you that a big part of the problem is fraud. There are an abundance of "claim" lawyers who do nothing but go to court against state run Citizens property insurance (this is the last resort if you can't get private insurance). My neighbor got a brand new metal roof by hiring one of them (they get iirc 30% of the cut) - I guess litigating and litigating until the poor government lawyers on Citizen's side lose.

Usually unmentioned is that Florida has relatively low property taxes. By law, they cannot increase assessed property values more than 3% in any one year. Compare that to Texas (where homeowner's insurance is relatively low - although increasing because of the uptick of hail but) where their property values can go up 10% in a year. Property taxes NEVER go away whereas when you pay off your mortgage, you can drop homeowner's insurance (which many including my mom, brothers, mother-in-law do). You can get impact resistant windows and/or hurricane shutters.

BTW, DeSantis does an OUTSTANDING job when there are hurricanes - it is top-notch. I was here during Hurricane Andrew, and it took iirc 2 weeks before power was restored. Now they have FPL and even help from Georgia/other states ready, and they get power up very quickly.

I've also lived here for over 47 years and Florida is no more erased off the map than it was back then. Now we have pumps in our canals to lower level in preparation for hurricanes, etc. And what's not to love - LOW cost of living (no state tax), beautiful weather and freedom.

Don't get me started on Disney. As an annual Disney resident passholder for MANY years, that place has gone to pot. Prices are SO expensive now - they adjust prices based on attendance, the lines are absurdly long, the service is crappy - whatever happened to Disney World being a MAGICAL place? Aren't you one of those always complaining about big corporations paying their FAIR SHARE? Well, that's what DeSantis did - take away Disney's SPECIAL TREATMENT and pay (just like Universal Studios, SeaWorld and all the other theme parks do) their FAIR SHARE.

The Governor also signed HB 799 related to property insurance. The bill expands mitigation discount programs for policyholders by:

Requiring a property insurerÂ’s residential rate filing to allow for mitigation discounts which reduce the potential for windstorm losses.
    Requiring residential property insurers to provide reasonable discount, credit, or appropriate reduction in deductibles for wind uplift prevention measures as a part of their rate filings.
    Clarifying provisions included in Senate Bill 2A related to CitizenÂ’s Property Insurance Corporation flood insurance coverage requirements.
    HB 881, signed by the Governor today, expands eligibility for the My Safe Florida Home Program, ensuring more Floridians can participate. The program was first included in Senate Bill 2D signed by the Governor last year, and upgrades funded through the program can result in premium discounts for program participants.

https://www.flgov.com/2023/05/31/gov...aster-strikes/
    Last edited by rmt; 05-08-2024 at 07:45 AM.

Default Re: Fetterman praises DeSantis for banning-lab grown meat, "would never serve that sl

There's also none of this insane chaos with protesting going on on FL's college campuses. I went to son's (yeah - the last one - we've "finished") graduation last Saturday and the protestors were chanting but standing (no sitting, no tents/encampments) in a roped off area with LOTS of police officers present - very orderly.

And yeah to my alma mater:

“This is not complicated: The University of Florida is not a daycare, and we do not treat protesters like children — they knew the rules, they broke the rules, and they’ll face the consequences. For many days, we have patiently told protesters — many of whom are outside agitators — that they were able to exercise their right to free speech and free assembly. And we also told them that clearly prohibited activities would result in a trespassing order from UPD (barring them from all university properties for three years) and an interim suspension from the university. For days UPD patiently and consistently reiterated the rules. Today, individuals who refused to comply were arrested after UPD gave multiple warnings and multiple opportunities to comply.”

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

rip rmwg

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

https://news.wfsu.org/state-news/202...d-loss-by-2040

The loss of land mass is a real thing.
    “We're about to hit a threshold where we're going to start seeing more rural impacts if the current pattern continues,” said Tom Hoctor, director of the University of Florida’s Center for Landscape Conservation Planning.
    I am sure that you find the lines at Disney to be annoying but I don't see how DeSantis fighting with them helps that. He didn't start attacking them because he was concerned with their tax payments, he went after them because their CEO publicly criticized his anti-woke policies. The "War on Woke" is one of the most useless initiatives we've ever seen and it completely failed in its true purpose, which was to get him the republican nomination for president.
    Quote Originally Posted by warriorfan View Post
    rip rmwg
    You thought a long post was going to kill me?

Quote Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green View Post
    https://news.wfsu.org/state-news/202...d-loss-by-2040

The loss of land mass is a real thing. I am sure that you find the lines at Disney to be annoying but I don't see how DeSantis fighting with them helps that. He didn't start attacking them because he was concerned with their tax payments, he went after them because their CEO publicly criticized his anti-woke policies. The "War on Woke" is one of the most useless initiatives we've ever seen and it completely failed in its true purpose, which was to get him the republican nomination for president. You thought a long post was going to kill me?
    I don't think it's useless - my brother (with 9 and 5 year olds) appreciates not having to worry so much about such things in their school. It never really affected me as I'm waaaaay past that stage and even then, I homeschooled up to high school (past the age of any indoctrination).

I do agree that DeSantis spends too much time on woke stuff, and I don't think he should have signed the 6 week abortion ban (he's not particularly religious and this ban was probably in return for changing rules to allow him to run for president while still governor). The 6 week ban is ok for me personally, but not for most Americans and why make it a political problem? I think a 12-15 week is fine and what MOST Americans would go for. After that you start feeling the baby somersaulting :-)

But hey, no one's perfect (in their role).

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

What do you or your brother think will be testify to those kids in school that is so bad th hat or merits being on the top of the Governor's agenda with so many tall problems facing the state? Insurance is going to hell over there and he's making sure that kids learn about the positive side of slavery.

Most parents will tell you that their kids are more important than any climate change, wind storm insurance - virtually anything.

Quote Originally Posted by rmt View Post
    As a Floridian, I can tell you that a big part of the problem is fraud. There are an abundance of "claim" lawyers who do nothing but go to court against state run Citizens property insurance (this is the last resort if you can't get private insurance). My neighbor got a brand new metal roof by hiring one of them (they get iirc 30% of the cut) - I guess litigating and litigating until the poor government lawyers on Citizen's side lose.

Usually unmentioned is that Florida has relatively low property taxes. By law, they cannot increase assessed property values more than 3% in any one year. Compare that to Texas (where homeowner's insurance is relatively low - although increasing because of the uptick of hail but) where their property values can go up 10% in a year. Property taxes NEVER go away whereas when you pay off your mortgage, you can drop homeowner's insurance (which many including my mom, brothers, mother-in-law do). You can get impact resistant windows and/or hurricane shutters.

BTW, DeSantis does an OUTSTANDING job when there are hurricanes - it is top-notch. I was here during Hurricane Andrew, and it took iirc 2 weeks before power was restored. Now they have FPL and even help from Georgia/other states ready, and they get power up very quickly.

I've also lived here for over 47 years and Florida is no more erased off the map than it was back then. Now we have pumps in our canals to lower level in preparation for hurricanes, etc. And what's not to love - LOW cost of living (no state tax), beautiful weather and freedom.

Don't get me started on Disney. As an annual Disney resident passholder for MANY years, that place has gone to pot. Prices are SO expensive now - they adjust prices based on attendance, the lines are absurdly long, the service is crappy - whatever happened to Disney World being a MAGICAL place? Aren't you one of those always complaining about big corporations paying their FAIR SHARE? Well, that's what DeSantis did - take away Disney's SPECIAL TREATMENT and pay (just like Universal Studios, SeaWorld and all the other theme parks do) their FAIR SHARE.

The Governor also signed HB 799 related to property insurance. The bill expands mitigation discount programs for policyholders by:

Requiring a property insurerÂ’s residential rate filing to allow for mitigation discounts which reduce the potential for windstorm losses.
    Requiring residential property insurers to provide reasonable discount, credit, or appropriate reduction in deductibles for wind uplift prevention measures as a part of their rate filings.
    Clarifying provisions included in Senate Bill 2A related to CitizenÂ’s Property Insurance Corporation flood insurance coverage requirements.
    HB 881, signed by the Governor today, expands eligibility for the My Safe Florida Home Program, ensuring more Floridians can participate. The program was first included in Senate Bill 2D signed by the Governor last year, and upgrades funded through the program can result in premium discounts for program participants.

https://www.flgov.com/2023/05/31/gov...aster-strikes/
    I'm getting battered with wind and hail insurance. My premium just quadrupled for the same umbrella policy because insurances are pulling out of the NC coast. While I regretfully will absorb the hit after I do a bit more policy/plan searching, I feel for those retired here and/or on fixed incomes. NC needs to get it together...

Quote Originally Posted by rawimpact View Post
    I'm getting battered with wind and hail insurance. My premium just quadrupled for the same umbrella policy because insurances are pulling out of the NC coast. While I regretfully will absorb the hit after I do a bit more policy/plan searching, I feel for those retired here and/or on fixed incomes. NC needs to get it together...
    Our state run Citizen was created because at one time so many private insurance companies pulled out. Now Citizen has us sign this agreement that if there are catastrophic losses in one area of the state, all the Citizen policy holders will share in paying. Things are better now - they just moved me out of Citizens to a private company. Maybe NC will create similar state run coverage.

Increasing (only) the wind storm deductible (mine is like $11k) helps to cut premium. So does having shutters or impact resistance windows. I suggest trimming back all trees close to house. And thankfully - hail, earthquakes, tornados, mudslides, etc are not a problem here - only hurricanes.

My son is moving to CA, and State Farm no longer offers home or renters' insurance there - I guess the wildfires, mud slides, whatever.

Hopefully, those retired have paid off mortgage and have the option to take their chances going without - that's what a lot of people in FL do.

Some companies (not Citizens) have the option to do without wind storm coverage (which is the major cost) and just cover fire and such.

who's who for America was an epic fail in comparison to who's what for America

Quote Originally Posted by rmt View Post
    Some companies (not Citizens) have the option to do without wind storm coverage (which is the major cost) and just cover fire and such.
    I live on the water so wind and hail is required by the mortgage company despite being flood-zone X unfortunately. And yeah for me too wind and hail has completely surpassed home owners and taxes... just crazy.

My parents have a ranch in socal and yeah, exact thing happened to them. State farm cancelled and the ones that are still there have doubled in price.