Page 57 of 57 FirstFirst ... 74754555657

Default Re: Rate the last Movie you watched

Quote Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous View Post
    Somewhere in the C+ to B- range. It's good criticism though in that I actually wanted more.
    yeah i agree with you on the lack of backstory. and that scene in particular where they are attacking the whitehouse, it was a great combat scene and jarring to see that happen...especially with the presidential vehicle being used as a decoy and it being made look like a joke against an army.

secret service when they watch that scene:

Godzilla Minus One is pretty awesome.

National High School Star

The Promised Land just overtook Late Night with the Devil as my new best movie of the year.

Get him a body bag! Patrick Chewing's Avatar

THE IRON CLAW - 8/10

Holy shit this movie made me cry. Had to pause that shit to recoup. As an old-school wrestling fan, it was a decent story. A little perplexed as to why they left Chris Von Erich out of it.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing View Post
    THE IRON CLAW - 8/10

Holy shit this movie made me cry. Had to pause that shit to recoup. As an old-school wrestling fan, it was a decent story. A little perplexed as to why they left Chris Von Erich out of it.
    There’s only so many dead brothers they can fit into a 2 hour movie

When the movie came out I didn’t really have a desire to watch it but I randomly watched a documentary about all the deaths in their family. Then I realized Iron Claw was about them so I decided to give it a watch when it came to streaming. Watching the Documentary first actually wasn’t bad, I could understand what’s going on more, I was never big into wrestling and that period was before my time a bit so getting some background info was good.

Get him a body bag! Patrick Chewing's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by warriorfan View Post
    There’s only so many dead brothers they can fit into a 2 hour movie

When the movie came out I didn’t really have a desire to watch it but I randomly watched a documentary about all the deaths in their family. Then I realized Iron Claw was about them so I decided to give it a watch when it came to streaming. Watching the Documentary first actually wasn’t bad, I could understand what’s going on more, I was never big into wrestling and that period was before my time a bit so getting some background info was good.
    Another thing that bothered me, but that's probably me being more picky than anything, is how the actor that played Kerry was such a small guy. Kerry Von Erich was a huge beast of a man.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

The actor who played Rick Flair was the worst part of the movie for me, but good movie nonetheless.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing View Post
    Another thing that bothered me, but that's probably me being more picky than anything, is how the actor that played Kerry was such a small guy. Kerry Von Erich was a huge beast of a man.

Yeah them not being the size of Wrestlers was pretty noticeable at first but I was able to get over it

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

I watched The Iron Claw a few weeks ago. It was cool, but not quite what I was looking for. I knew it was dark, but it was darker than I was hoping for. Not enough wrestling for me. Like, I felt like they could've covered the Japanese trip more. Not enough tertiary characters I was hoping for, Harley Race didn't do much for me, and the Flair guy just wasn't very good. And the one surviving brother comes off as somewhere between naïve, and or too goody. It just felt like they were trying to cover a bit too much ground in not quite enough time. Also, for what it's worth, this predates my interest in wrestling by a bit. I remember Kerry Von Erich in the WWE, but that's about as far back as I go. I also had just come off watching the Flair documentary on Netflix. I was kinda on a wrestling kick. That led me to some YouTube clips. I had high expectations for this, and while it is undeniably excellent, I just didn't think it lived up to what I was hoping for.

I also got around to Dune 2 on Max. I loved the first one. I'm a huge fan of Villanueve. It's an incredible visual spectacle. I love the scale of it. Between the two movies, it's an incredibly dense story to get into. I really wish I'd seen them in the theatres. I read someone describe them as if Star Wars were made for grown ups, and that felt apt to me.

This past weekend I dug into a little of the Netflix I'd been hoping to get to. Godzilla Minus One was awesome. It reminded me of a true update of an old Godzilla movie, as opposed to the blockbuster stuff they've jammed him into over the years. I watched it with the english re-dub, which really captured some of the old hokiness that we loved as kids, even though the story was quite touching. And the effects were spectacular. Another movie that does an incredible job with scale. And again, even with the incredible updated visuals, he still felt like Godzilla. It maintained his traditional movement, without feeling like a guy in a costume, if that makes any sense.

And then I got through Hit Man. I feel like I'm all over the place with Linklater. Dazed and Confused came out when I was pretty much the same age as the younger kids in that movie, so it became a seminal film for me, and basically an entire generation. And I also loved SubUrbia, which was release as I was starting college, and the indie film scene had become a thing, and knowing things like this is the same guy from Dazed meant something. Both of those movies I still love. The Before Trilogy is among the most romantic things ever on film, and again, objectively great movies, which I'm a huge fan of, but to say they don't feel like the things I associated with him is an understatement. And they're things I didn't get to until they were older and I was an adult. But then School of Rock does not feel like him. Scanner Darkly is a weird swing. Bernie is something I liked but felt strange. Everybody Wants Some feels like a return to what I think of him as. Boyhood is really a one of one that always felt like more of an achievement than a particularly great film.
    All this is mostly to say the Hit Man felt like all of his all over the place stuff wrapped into one movie. I suppose it's closest to Bernie or School of Rock, where this one character and one actor are allowed to sort of cook. Probably closer to Bernie in that it's less about the persona of the actor and more about the character. And I did really enjoy it. Glenn Powell is a real honest to god movie star. Adria Arjona is awesome, and looks incredible. But this movie is all over the place. It starts as a caper. Almost Caper Comedy. Turns to almost a raunchy sex romp comedy. Definitely plays as rom-com for a bit. Goes into a stretch of high tension thriller. Gets really dark there for a moment. And gives out the dopamine ending. I could seeing loving how it flips and flops around. I found myself wondering what it would of looked like if it were made by either The Coen Brothers, or the The Farrelly Brothers. I definitely recommend it, but I'm not sure how I feel about it.