Thumbs up NBA Draft Combine was today... (SPOILER ALERT: Edey won... again)

Somehow grew half an inch taller; he's now 7'3.75" barefoot which is a quarter of an inch more than Wemby. Wingspan's up to 7'10.75". Weighed in at a svelte 299 lbs - down 7 pounds from last year's combine.

Crushed the competition in the lane agility test. Had a better time than projected number-one pick Alexandre Sarr, an individual known for his defensive mobility. Also beat Yves Messi and Donovan Clingan. Also beat Clingan in the 3/4 court sprint and put up a 31.5" vertical jump.

Not too shabby! Will have to wait to get confirmation on all the #s.

Oh, and he and Clingan displayed great three-point stroke in a number of drills. Intriguing stuff...

Long Live The Process fourkicks44's Avatar

Default Re: NBA Draft Combine was today... (SPOILER ALERT: Edey won... again)

Will he be there at 16? His stock is pretty low all things considered.

I know Morey will be trying to trade the pick, but could be a intriguing prospect to back up Embiid and play in his absence due to injury which is always the biggest issue for the team.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

We will have to wait and see how those numbers translate to the NBA. A big part of rim protection is instinct, anticipation, and timing.

Decent college freshman Duderonomy's Avatar

Edey would be a great pick for the Bucks. He will probably go before that though. It will be interesting to see where he goes.

Official agility, speed, and power numbers:

Zach Edey

Lane agility time: 11.19 seconds
    Shuttle run: 3.01 seconds
    Three quarter sprint: 3.42 seconds
    Standing vertical leap: 26"
    Max vertical leap: 31.5"

Donovan Clingan

Lane agility time: 12.06 seconds
    Shuttle run: 3.38 seconds
    Three quarter sprint: 3.46 seconds
    Standing vertical leap: 25.5"
    Max vertical leap: 29"

Zach beat him in every category despite being two inches taller and weighing 17 pounds more. The lane agility and shuttle run weren't even close. Zach legitimately had the fourth and sixth-best times in those tests out of all the centers. Consider his freakish size, stamina, and durability and he's a legitimate athletic freak.

His numbers were amazing last year and he just took it to another level this time around.

I don't know anything about this guy, but those videos posted by tontoz are pretty incriminating.

Who cares what measures a guy does in a static lane agility test if he doesn't have the game speed.

From ESPN/DraftExpress' Jonathan Givony:

Zach Edey, C, Purdue: Edey, ranked No. 14 in our Top 100, measured exceptionally well as expected -- 7-foot-5 in shoes, with a near 7-foot-11 wingspan, 299 pounds and a 9-foot-7.5 standing reach -- unprecedented figures that we learned at last year's NBA draft combine before Edey withdrew from the draft. But he also tested better than last year, shaving off time from last year's pro lane agility drill, and measuring a solid vertical leap and three-quarter court sprint time, showing the significant improvement he has made with his conditioning and mobility since electing to return to Purdue for his senior season.

He also put on a pretty impressive showing in shooting drills, hitting 3s off movement, spotting up and pulling up off the dribble, showing some real potential in that area as he has long insisted he possesses. Edey has quite a few fans around the NBA at this point, and there are plenty of executives who say they have him ranked as a lottery pick, or even as a top-10 prospect because of how well he rates in their analytics models. -- Givony

Quote Originally Posted by beasted View Post
    I don't know anything about this guy, but those videos posted by tontoz are pretty incriminating.

Who cares what measures a guy does in a static lane agility test if he doesn't have the game speed.
    I have a lot of them. I have never seen a center just letting guys get layups so often without even trying to contest.

Quote Originally Posted by tontoz View Post
    I have a lot of them. I have never seen a center just letting guys get layups so often without even trying to contest.
    I know a center who won 3 mvp’s doing it ;)

Quote Originally Posted by FultzNationRISE View Post
    I know a center who won 3 mvp’s doing it ;)
    You obviously haven't watched Edey.

Jokic will contest when he is in good position. Edey has a problem just lifting up his arm to contest a shot, let alone jumping.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by warriorfan View Post
    We will have to wait and see how those numbers translate to the NBA. A big part of rim protection is instinct, anticipation, and timing.
    Yup.

I've been shocked at how good Chet is at defending the rim despite being an absolute toothpick. And grabbing boards.

Timing and anticipation can't be measured in a combine. Dude could end up being Zubac or the next prime Sabonis.