Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Manny98's Avatar

Default Re: Is Tatum injured? Why else is he shooting 41% from the field?

They're are two types of players

guys that elevate their games in the postseason, LeBron, Mitchell, Kyrie, Murray, ect

Then they're the guys that aren't built for the more physical higher intensity of the playoffs Embiid, Harden, PG, CP0 ect

Tatum falls into the second category

Quote Originally Posted by Manny98 View Post
    They're are two types of players

guys that elevate their games in the postseason, LeBron, Mitchell, Kyrie, Murray, ect

Then they're the guys that aren't built for the more physical higher intensity of the playoffs Embiid, Harden, PG, CP0 ect

Tatum falls into the second category
    Then there are players who can’t make the finals without LeBron: Kyrie

Playoff celtics... they are so inconsistent.

IF they dont win it this year there is no hope.

Quote Originally Posted by rawimpact View Post

I’d say they are doing alright without their star center and playing 40 year old Horford 40 min a game

Insanely consistent at winning on the road but can't get it done at home, been a theme the past 4 or so years.

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

The guy with the most career postseason points of anyone still in the playoffs is inconsistent. The only team with a lead in their current playoff series is inconsistent. The team with the best record in the league is inconsistent.

Well, ok, but then who is consistent?

"Cavs in 7."

Very good NBA starter elementally morale's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by j3lademaster View Post
    I’m starting to think that. I even contended with Elementally Morale about his superstar status during the regular season only to be proven wrong in the playoffs. I still think he’s on that borderline of very good all star and superstar depending on criteria, but he’s been disappointing. There are a handful of players who can look like bitw on any given night, but its consistency that cements superstardom.
    I think the discussion was about Sabonis and why I'd take him on my team instead of Tatum. My main argument was that Sabonis comes to play every night. You can count on him being him. It's very rare he has a super game and it's very rare he has a really bad game. With Tatum you never know. Another thing I had in mind is Tatum is rarely the guy to step up when it's tough. He can take over but most of the time it's in situations when it's not really needed. When the Celtics are down or need a huge bucket in the crunch I usually don't see Tatum coming to the rescue. As I said in that thread (as much as I can remember) he is a bit like Anthony Davis in this regard. Very good players, can go off any night. But if it gets tough they can check put. I don't really dislike Tatum though. He is just someone I find hard to really want to see succeed. Not electrifying enough.

The Celtics win 64 games and averaged over 10 more points than their opponents. They had more games where they won by thirty than trailed by 10. It didn't get tough for him to be doing anything when it got tough. Whatever Sabonis does when it gets tough apparently wasn't enough this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green View Post
    The Celtics win 64 games and averaged over 10 more points than their opponents. They had more games where they won by thirty than trailed by 10. It didn't get tough for him to be doing anything when it got tough. Whatever Sabonis does when it gets tough apparently wasn't enough this season.
    It wasn't. But Sabonis is a guy nobody is expecting to win the game. He is a workhorse. Nothing spectacular. I'd select him over Tatum because of this. You get what you were looking for if you have Sabonis. He will play every night and will deliver a near triple double. Tatum can play much better than Sabonis can, but you never know when. And he is supposed to be 'the star'. You don't expect Sabonis win you the game. When it happens, it's a plus. But you expect him to anchor the team and keep you in the game. And he does that way more often than not. BTW, the discussion was about Tatum being a top5 player or not, and I argued he wasn't. I don't see him as a top 5 player, more like a borderline top 10 player. I really would select Sabonis over him. Maybe a little bit below Tatum but very reliable.

The idea that Tatum is unreliable is ridiculous. The entire season he had 10 games under 20 points. You say he can't be counted in when he has the NBA record for points in a game 7 and the NBA record for points in a play-in game. There is no player currently in the playoffs that has more points in the postseason.

Quote Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green View Post
    The idea that Tatum is unreliable is ridiculous. The entire season he had 10 games under 20 points. You say he can't be counted in when he has the NBA record for points in a game 7 and the NBA record for points in a play-in game. There is no player currently in the playoffs that has more points in the postseason.
    I don't watch the Celtics often because I find them to be very good and quite boring at the same time. So I'm no expert on Tatum. I remember him from past playoffs and the occasional game here and there. So I won't go extreme lengths to either attack or defend him. I guess it will come down to the Celtics winning it all this year or not. If they do, that does the defending. I'm not one of the posters who argue Ingram as being his equal or better than him. I'm just not overwhelmed seeing Tatum play. Has he become the player you envisioned him to be 3-4 years ago?

I thought he would be an allstar 2/3. I didn't expect him to be able to play 4 but he changed a bit physically.

Jayson Tatum

2023:Game 7 last year against MIA facing elimination, 14 pts on 39%fg , made a whole 5 shots
    2022: Game 6 facing GSW facing elimination, 13 pts, made 6 shots (33% fg) -- he also had a 3 for 17 (17%) game 1 performance in the finals, finishing with 12pts -- historically bad
    2021 Game 5 facing elimination against MIA he shot 12 for 27 44% with 32pts, not bad.... but in that series he had game 1 22pts shooting 30%, game 2 9 pts shooting 25%. His game 3 and 4 admittedly were amazing.
    2020 Game 6 facing elimination against the nets 24 pts on 35%fg.... previous game 5 he went 8 for 22 (36% fg)
    2019 Game 5 facing elimination against the bucks 14 pts 3 for 10 (30%)

Yeah.. pretty bad. Consistency is his biggest problem... I just chose elimination games because those are games I am watching.

Jayson Tatum

2023:Game 7 last year against MIA facing elimination, 14 pts on 39%fg , made a whole 5 shots
    2022: Game 6 facing GSW facing elimination, 13 pts, made 6 shots (33% fg) -- he also had a 3 for 17 (17%) game 1 performance in the finals, finishing with 12pts -- historically bad
    2021 Game 5 facing elimination against MIA he shot 12 for 27 44% with 32pts, not bad.... but in that series he had game 1 22pts shooting 30%, game 2 9 pts shooting 25%. His game 3 and 4 admittedly were amazing.
    2020 Game 6 facing elimination against the nets 24 pts on 35%fg.... previous game 5 he went 8 for 22 (36% fg)
    2019 Game 5 facing elimination against the bucks 14 pts 3 for 10 (30%)

Yeah.. pretty bad. Consistency is his biggest problem... I just chose elimination games because those are games I am watching.
    Anyone will be "pretty bad" if they have some hater search through their whole postseason career to highlight negatives. Don't see you mentioning him scoring 50 in a game 7 or the fact that only 2 players have had more postseasonm points before the age of 27. How many guys have been the top scorer on 4 conference finals teams by the time they were 25? I would like to see who's on that list.