NBA Heritage Week
Basketball has evolved since Dr. James Naismith fastened two peach baskets to a 10-foot-high railing in 1891. To honor the game’s history, the NBA and its teams will celebrate NBA Heritage Week 2007 presented by adidas. The event runs Dec. 7-14, 2007, and features games with teams wearing retro uniforms, classic rivalries, team celebrations, NBA.com features, NBA TV specials, and the adidas NBA Heritage Week Collection – a full line of apparel and accessories inspired by teams that will be wearing retro uniforms who have all won NBA titles.
During Heritage Week and additional Hardwood Classics Nights throughout the season, the nine teams that will wear retro uniforms are the Boston Celtics (1956-57 Road), Chicago Bulls (1995-96 Second Road), Detroit Pistons (1957-58 Home), Golden State Warriors (1974-75 Road), Houston Rockets (1994-95 Home), Los Angeles Lakers (1987-88 Home), Miami Heat (1988-89 Home), New York Knicks (1972-73 Home), and Philadelphia 76ers (1982-83 Home).
During the week, NBA teams will celebrate memorable seasons, rivalries, championships, anniversaries, and historic moments through special ceremonies and promotions. Six nationally televised games will feature seven teams wearing retro uniforms and warm-up gear.
“Heritage Week expands upon our tradition of Hardwood Classics Nights with a celebration of our history,” said Carol Albert, NBA Sr. Vice President, Marketing. “This is an opportunity to recognize the achievements of so many players, coaches and teams who have helped shape today’s game, while also providing fans an opportunity to celebrate previous eras of basketball.”
Below are highlights of NBA Heritage Week 2007 presented by adidas:
SPECIAL TEAM COMMEMORATIONS:
- Teams playing in nationally televised games during Heritage Week will wear their retro uniforms and warm-ups.
- The Lakers (60th anniversary), Detroit Pistons (50th anniversary), Milwaukee Bucks (40th anniversary), and Miami Heat (20th anniversary) will wear patches on uniforms, warm-ups and shooting shirts.
- The San Antonio Spurs will honor their 35th anniversary with patches on warm-ups and shooting shirts.
- The Phoenix Suns will celebrate 40 seasons with a special logo.
- The adidas NBA Heritage Week Collection celebrates teams’ championships. The line includes retro jerseys, footwear, tees and headwear. The signature piece in the collection is the adidas NBA Heritage Week Banner Jacket, which features patches replicating all of the team’s past championship banners on the back.
- The collection is on sale at the world famous NBA Store on Fifth Avenue in New York City, NBAStore.com, shopadidas.com, Champs locations, and NBA team shops.
- The teams wearing retro uniforms will also sport adidas NBA Heritage Week Banner Jackets as part of their warm-ups.
- Throughout the season, 41 regular season games will feature one or both teams wearing retro uniforms.
Discuss this news with other fans on the InsideHoops basketball message board.